Monday, July 9, 2007

Fourth Fourth

I felt the need to post SOMETHING to assure my readers that I am still alive.

The post before and after this one will be up shortly. Enjoy the account of my Fourth of July!

Wednesday, July 4

My Fourth of July celebration began at the National Archives. I saw the Presentation of Colors by the Continental Color Guard followed by the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps:


Allen Weinstein, the Archivist of the United States spoke next along with a few World War II veterans:


I then witnessed a dramatic reading of the Declaration of Independence by none other than John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, and Benjamin Franklin:


(If you look at this photo closely, Thomas Jefferson with his flamboyant red hair and jutting chin looks just like Drew Kouri.)

Huzzahs were offered for the original signers of the Declaration, and Cokie Roberts and Ken Burns spoke afterward. I got to see a preview of Mr. Burns' new documentary The War as well as a short film centered around Irving Berlin's God Bless America. (The famous clip of Kate Smith singing was included.)

I was pretty hot at this point and couldn't decide whether to stay on Constitution Avenue for the Fourth of July Parade or check out the Navy Memorial:


I chose the latter:



I learned a few cool things about the memorial: the map of the world set into the ground is one of the largest in the world, and every year when the fountains are filled after winter, a gallon of water from each of the seven seas is thrown in them.

There were a bunch of neat bronze/copper sculpted panels on one side of the memorial. Different artists were given opportunities to portray various battles and aspects of the Navy life:


I also took a photo of The Lone Sailor:


Right around 12:30, I hopped on the yellow line to Reagan to pick up Jim! This is the fourth Fourth of July I have spent with Mr. Piotrowski (all of which have been memorable):

1. Fourth of July 2004 - Jim and Sarah go downtown to catch the Cleveland Orchestra concert and fireworks. Sarah proceeds to smash the driver side mirror off of the Blazer in the Tower City parking garage.

2. Fourth of July 2005 - Jim, John, and Sarah go to Dollar Dog Day at Jacobs Field. John and Sarah stand in line for hot dogs for ONE HOUR AND TEN MINUTES, or THREE WHOLE INNINGS. John and Sarah deliver hot dogs to Jim just in time to see Coco Crisp's inside-the-park home run immediately followed by Travis Hafner's blast into the stands.

3. Fourth of July 2006 - Sarah visits Jim in Austin, Texas. Jim and Sarah decide against seeing the Austin Symphony and fireworks at Zilker Park due to impending rain. Dinner at Chili's and a Wal-Mart run for a toilet brush ensue instead.

4. Fourth of July 2007 - Jim visits Sarah in Washington, D.C. Jim and Sarah get dinner at Big Hunt and catch fireworks on the National Mall:



(Bottom photo courtesy of The New York Times.)

I had a fun Fourth of July, and I hope that you did, too!

Wednesday spending total: $5.00 (bottled water and Big Hunt tip)