Saturday, September 29, 2007

Books & Gardens

Saturday, September 29

Today I went to the 2007 National Book Festival, held on the Mall:


While this event was CROWDED, it also was a lot of fun. Target was a Distinguished Benefactor of the Book Festival; Bullseye was in the house to represent:


After saying hello to this professionally trained Bull Terrier, I sauntered by the Magic School Bus (BEEP BEEP):


Ms. Frizzle and Liz were there, too:


By this point, I was done with the Book Festival and ready to move onto something new. Luckily for me, the Hirshhorn Sculpture Garden was 10 feet away. I had a lovely time strolling through the garden and took way too many pictures. Here's the best of the best:






These photos are from around the Hirshhorn Museum:





Next, I wandered through several of the Smithsonian Gardens. These photos are from the Mary Livingston Ripley Garden, between the Hirshhorn Museum and Arts and Industries Building:



The Arts and Industries Building is currently closed for renovation:


This is the Kathrine Dulin Folger Rose Garden, right by the Smithsonian Castle:


Check out the birds:


I continued to visit the Enid A. Haupt Garden:




The Haupt Garden is actually a rooftop garden. Here is the entrance to the S. Dillon Ripley Center, which sits three levels below:


I spent a little bit of time in the Smithsonian Freer and Sackler Galleries. This is a courtyard inside the Freer Gallery:


I was not in a museum mood today, so I walked through L'Enfant Plaza to the Potomac River instead:


All that walking tired me out, and I set out for home (via Metro, of course). The end.