Saturday, September 29, 2007

Sometimes I Cook

Saturday, September 29

Twice a week or so, I aspire to cook hearty, healthy meals.

Tonight I made Salsa Shrimp with rice, courtesy of Giant:


I was pleased with how this turned out. I used two cans of corn and added some salt and pepper to the recipe. In addition, I squeezed one fresh lime and used Newman's Own Mango Salsa. Yum!

Earlier in the week, I attempted Peach Poppy Chicken with couscous:


I put three chicken breasts, 12 ounces of peaches (with juice), and half a bottle of Briannas Rich Poppy Seed dressing in my little crock pot. I cooked the mixture on LOW for 11.5 hours (8 to 10 would have been ideal, but I had to work late).

This recipe (which I devised after looking at similar crock pot chicken dishes) disappointed me. The tanginess of the poppy seed dressing was lost, and the peaches were a tad too mushy. Definitely still edible, but not outstanding. I doubt that reducing the cooking time would retain additional flavor, either. Oh well...